The THYRAGE project expects to have the following impact:
1. A better understanding of disease pathways and/or mechanisms common to a number of diseases
The THYRAGE work will result in a better understanding of the role of cell-specific thyroid hormone action in the pathophysiology of osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, neurologival disorders and sarcopenia.
(i) will identify the underlying cellular and molecular basis of disease pathogenesis
(ii) will identify signalling pathways involved in thyroid hormone regulated tissue maintenance and repair
(iii) will identify putative therapeutic targets
2. New directions for clinical research for better disease prevention, health promotion, therapy development and the management of co-morbidities
will allow identification of thyroid hormone dependent biomarkers for increased or reduced disease risk.
The generation of a panel of markers that define individual risk susceptibility will contribute to
- better disease prevention
- health promotion
- therapy development
- management of co-morbidities.
3. Innovation evidence-based treatments
THYRAGE will provide Proof-of-Concept for cell-specific delivery of thyroid hormone action modulating agents to provide the required underpinning for innovation in the development of new evidence-based treatments